Thursday, October 8, 2015

Dinner at Spoon and Stable in Minneapolis, MN and Q & A with Chef Gavin Kaysen


I fully enjoyed my beautiful, delicious dinner at Spoon and Stable in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I sat at the chef's bar and enjoyed the ambiance. My favourite thing was watching one of the chefs stoke the wood burning stove. 

I love open kitchens! 

Chef Kaysen (L) finishing a dish before it is served.
Chef Kaysen's favourite ingredient is butter, and tasting this butter
from Hope Creamery told me why - so creamy and delicious! 

I love starting a meal with fantastic fresh bread, and creamy artisan butter. I was also treated to a black truffle arancini amuse bouche, but it went into my mouth before I could pick up my phone. 

This Bordeaux Blanc Petit Chapeau 2014 was a perfect pairing. 

First dish: Chilled corn soup, Biscayne Bay crab, fennel, vanilla oil, brioche. 

Smooth, rich and delicious. 


Wine pairing: Muscadet Sevre et Maine, Pepiere Loire, 2012

Second dish: Spaghetti Nero, prawns, mussels, octopus, far diavolo, fines herbes. 

Loved this dish! 



I barely had room for dessert so I asked for a sorbet, and received this gorgeous raspberry sorbet with chocolate sauce. I sipped some green mint tea to finish my meal, and my attentive waiter wouldn't let me leave without some tasty petit fours for my trip home the next day. 



Q & A with Chef Gavin Kaysen: 

If you were a tourist in your own town, where would you eat?
Do you have any favourite food-related films or books?
What was the last cookbook you bought?

The Broad Fork by Hugh Acheson
*It has to be said that this is how generous Chef Kaysen is - when I asked this question, he immediately gave me this book as a gift, as Hugh Acheson had recently had his book party at Spoon and Stable. 

What is your favourite ingredient:

BUTTER - Chef Kaysen sources his amazing butter from Hope Creamery in Hope, Minnesota

And...the signature After the Harvest question: 




If you could dine with any 5 people, living or dead, who would they be, where would you eat , and what would you eat and drink?
  • Daniel Boulud, his wife, kids, and maternal grandmother Dorothy
  • Napa Valley, outside on a patio in a vineyard
  • "Eating simply and enjoying wine"
Thank you, Chef Kaysen, for your time, and for sharing your beautiful food. It was a fantastic experience! Also, thank you for your gift of Hugh Acheson's The Broad Fork -- another thing that made  me feel at home -- a cookbook not only written by a Canadian, but a chef that grew up and trained in my hometown of Ottawa. Very cool. Read more about Chef Kaysen here.

   Stay tuned to the blog for my attempts at some of Chef Hugh Acheson's recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment