Friday, October 15, 2010

Blog Action Day: Topic = WATER



Even though the day is almost done, today's post is my contribution to Blog Action Day! What's Blog Action Day, you ask? Well, the folks over at Change.org created this day in an effort to spark a global discussion and drive collective action.

Bloggers around the world (including The White House!) are uniting to speak about one issue that speaks to us all. Last year the issue was climate change, this year it's WATER!

How each person discusses the topic of water is completely up to him or her, and when thinking about my post, I went over many different angles from which I could attack this issue before writing. When I thought about how the topic of water could relate to After the Harvest, a food and drink blog that focuses largely on environmental sustainability (among other things), one thing came to mind: Bottled Water.

Technically falling under the umbrella of "food and drink", a bottle of water is a beverage that many people are still purchasing. It is my hope that more and more people cease this buying decision and remember their health, their wallet, and the environment the next time they're parched.

It is so much more convenient, green and healthy to carry around your own reusable bottle, such as a SIGG aluminium bottle or a glass bottle. I never leave home without mine.



If you don't believe me, then take Annie Leonard's word for it. After watching this video, it is my hope that you will never buy another plastic bottle of water again. This is one issue that I'm not afraid to "preach" about -- it's that important.



The fine folks at Atlas Films also made a documentary about bottled water, called Tapped.

Here's the trailer:



So not only is plastic bottled water unhealthy for the environment, it's unhealthy for us! Plastic leaches chemicals into plastic bottled water. You've heard of BPA, right? This leaching process is accelerated especially if you reuse the bottle or pour hot water into it.

So, friends, next time you're at the grocery store or out and about looking for a cold beverage, think twice before you buy a drink in a plastic bottle. Not just water, any drink for that matter, but for the purposes of Blog Action Day, let's focus on water. Snag yourself a handy stainless steel or glass reusable bottle and fill it up on your way out the door! Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

So here's to the day when there are no more single use plastics while we're eating, drinking and connecting!

Cheers everyone and have a fantastic weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Heather! Cheer, cheer and Cheers!! Thank you so much for talking about this! I would have jumped in for sure if I would have been aware of that Blog Action Day!
    Thanks for your share: I didn't know this documentary! I'll keep it in mind for my next visit to the video store!
    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete